Thursday, June 16, 2011

Hobbit Houses and Delicious Samosas.

Everything in Vietnam is the perfect size. The ceilings, the couches, everything. It is like living in a Hobbit hole. Except we aren't really Hobbits, because we don't have hairy feet.
We are safe! The trip here was relatively painless. Other than the length of it all, it went very smoothly. Cathay Pacific is a very good airline. When we checked in in Vancouver we didn't think we would be able to sit together, but Cathay worked it so we were able to sit together at the front of our section so we had leg room.
Because of our disgusting gravol we both slept for about five hours on the plane. And then I watched "The Dead Poets Society". I feel like what with my English and Theatre degree, it is a tragedy that I hadn't seen it before. It is a wonderful movie, and I may or may not have teared up at the end. Don't tell Naomi.
Then I watched Predator. And two episodes of Modern Family. And then we discovered that they have a bunch of episodes of Top Gear, which if you haven't seen look up right now. But it has to be the English one not the American one. The American one pales in comparison.
After thirteen hours and two meals, we were in Hong Kong. Where I bought a six dollar coffee and attempted to stream the hockey game.
Just a brief segway into the outcome of the hockey game...... wow, Vancouver..... I know all the residents of the city aren't guilty for rioting, but... That is the image you want to project to the rest of the world? Especially after we had such a successful Olympics? The good news is 1200 people apparently showed up to clean up the streets. I'm incredibly disappointed the Canucks lost, but I won't be setting any cars on fire any time soon.
Anywho, during the two hour flight from Hong Kong to Vietnam, we watched another episode of Top Gear. And had breakfast, again.
It took quite a while in the Vietnamese airport to get our Visas, but that was okay. I know I was warned about the humidity and I believed everyone but honestly, it was still a surprise. My hair has taken on a life of its own. It is very large, and it kind of looks like I have devil horns because certain pieces like to stick right up. But it is a small price to pay for being in such a cool place.
The buildings and scenery here are incredible. And the kids are probably the cutest I've ever seen in the world, I can't wait to teach them.
The principle of the summer school picked us up at the airport and took us to Sky Gardens, which is the complex a lot of the teachers live in. Once again, I love Valerie's apartment. I'm going to take a bunch of pictures of it to show you how it is basically made for me.
Then we went to an Indian restaurant for dinner, which I suppose is funny because our first night in Vietnam was spent eating food from another country. But this food was amazing. We had samosas that were.... just so good. SO GOOD.
Now that I've sufficiently stole just about all the material that Naomi could write about, I'm going to sign off. We leave for Mui Ne today, so we will have lots to talk about when we return.

4 comments:

  1. Kim!! It all sounds amazing!! Very funny that you had Indian food your first night! So excited to keep hearing about your adventures!! Ps the hockey game wasn't that bad yes they lost but honestly Boston wanted it more. The rioting was disgraceful but they werent canuck fans they were ppl who went out there looking for a fight! Stay strong as a nucks fan :)
    Love love love and be safe Xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the happy end to this story is seeing the way people pulled together on Thursday, in a collective effort, to clean up Vancouver. Sometimes it takes a crisis to bring out the best in people. Don't let the idiocy of a few drunken morons take up space for too much time in your head. There will always be idiots...
    Love your blog, ladies! Keep the posts coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I arrived in Egypt to stay with Naomi and Valery - we went to a Japanese Tepanyaki restaurant for dinner! It's their way...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, it's your mom. I was in all of that riot and just to let you know it was very scary. I did get hit on the head with debree, however I also saw lots of people helping others. The problem with everything was no guidance. People did pull together however and I did mannage to get home safe and sound, however not till next day as there was no ferry sailings that late. I love you and am so proud of you. I am excited now to read more of your adventures. Love Mom XXXOOO

    ReplyDelete