Sunday, June 5, 2011

When one door closes another opens...

Today was my last day of work at the bookstore. I will miss my co-workers they are all such wonderful people. Someone even arranged for a good-bye cake, it said "We'll Miss you Naomi" and it was DELICIOUS! I felt a twinge of remorse at leaving when I saw the cake and the card that had been prepared for me. Still, change is good and necessary, it is time to move on. I am sure I will see my co-workers often on campus, and on visits to the store.


I have started reading my next book which is The Tiger by John Vaillant. It is too early
 to tell if I like it yet but it was a best-seller at Christmas and we couldn't keep it on
 the shelves so that does bode well. I first heard about this book when I read a press release about Brad Pitt buying the film rights to the novel. The basic premise sounded very interesting and I will borrow a quote here to describe it.

Deep in the frigid Siberian wilderness, an Amur tiger hunts. Fearsome strength is at the command of a calculating mind that relentlessly stalks its newest prey: man. Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the taiga, John Vaillant provides an unforgettable true account of a lethal collision between man and beast in a remote Russian village during the late 1990's. At its core, The Tiger is the story of a desperate poacher who picked the wrong tiger to accost. Yet it engages the reader on political, socioeconomic, and conservation fronts in order to explain how the stage was set for a deadly showdown. It's a gutsy approach that could easily lead to chaotic storytelling, but Vaillant is careful to keep the bone-chilling storyline taut by capturing the intensity of an animal worthy of our greatest respect and deepest fears. --Dave Callanan

No comments:

Post a Comment