Friday, July 8, 2011

Classroom management

Shortly before school ended I bumped into Tim at the cafeteria and he said "So I hear you are something of a hard-ass."

I don't think of myself as being particularly hard-arsed but after Kim told me about the following exchange I realized I might just be.

Ms Kim: Can anyone tell me why it is important to be brave and volunteer in drama?
Little Oscar: Because if you don't Ms Naomi kicks you out.

It is true, I do kick them out. We have 40+ kids every afternoon and crowd control is often difficult so I have a one warning rule: You get warned and then you have to sit out and watch everyone else having fun.  I'm not mean or unkind but if I say something I mean it and I will follow through. The children aren't afraid of me just on their toes...I think.

Kim has also told me she enjoys being good cop to my bad cop.  I'm not sure how I feel about this.

 I think I am much better suited to work with the adolescents.

No comments:

Post a Comment