Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Onward and upward

Things are getting better. Sort of. Or maybe we are just adjusting to a different way of doing things.

This morning out of frustration I stole a printer from one of the empty class rooms and walked across campus with it. I smiled as I walked past two security officers who didn't question the fact that I had a piece of school property in my hands. Ms Kim, ever stealthy followed me giggling. Note to self: Ms. Kim is not suited for covert operations.  Kim and I really needed to get some printing done so I resorted to under-handed maneuvers. We are supposed to rely on the staff to get us what we need but that isn't happening.

This afternoon was our first session with the older kids in drama. I can not tell a lie, I was really nervous. Thus far my older class had been rather reserved. I was scared that we would have to pry the kids out of their chairs to get them to participate. I could not have been more wrong, they were great! We have talked to both of our drama classes about the important role bravery plays in acting. Many of my students wrote about trying to be brave onstage in their journals, a few are finding it a challenge but they are still trying to get up there.

We have a very enthusiastic core of kids who are ready to jump up on stage and perform. We played the photograph game with them and Ms. Kim got onstage to join some of the more reserved girls and her antics had everyone in stitches. Not wanting to be outdone I joined the other team and our audience were nearly falling out of their chairs with laughter.

One of our stars is a young man who we are now calling Yo-yo. Yo-yo got his nickname from Kim who observed him playing with his ever present yo-yo. Anyway, his joy at being on stage is catching and other students want to be up there with him so I am VERY grateful for his presence.


*Phew*

Tomorrow we are going to Cu Chi Tunnels, the famous underground tunnels where the Vietnamese hid during  the wars...with grades 1-11.

2 comments:

  1. lol cu chu with grades 1 - 11...i'll send you positive vibes in my sleep!!
    is yo -yo a former cis student? the students were OBSESSED with yo yo's this year. drove me INSANE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is a student from one of the public schools.

    Today was...not the very best day ever. We didn't end up at the tunnels instead we took a two hour drive to some kind of heritage center where the guide only spoke Vietnamese. The organizers forgot to pack water...

    ReplyDelete