Monday, July 18, 2011

I'm on a Boat

So, this Sunday Valerie and I went on an adventure on the Mekong Delta. For 15 dollars, we went on a bus to a boat, got on the boat, toured the Mekong Floating Market, another (land) market, lunch and had a small jaunt on the traditional rowboats. Fifteen dollars. For an entire day. And food. You would be hard-pressed to find lunch that cost less than 15 dollars in Canada. Let alone transportation, boating around all day and an English speaking tour guide. It blows my mind.





The Mekong is a really cool area. Basically all of these people come with their wares there. Anything from pumpkins to pineapple to bamboo to bricks to rice. Then buyers meet them on their boats and do their business. All these awesome looking tour boats ride up and down and let the tacky tourists take a billion pictures. (I'm one of those people).


It was really a well rounded day. The bus ride was long, but not painfully so. The boat trip was pleasant and after lunch I had a nap in a hammock. I really enjoyed both the big boat ride and the small boat ride. The Mekong has Ms. Kim's stamp of approval.


Probably my favourite part of the day was getting caught in a monsoon. Valerie was very smart and made me pack a rain coat. This allowed me to laugh at the full time fancy ladies that didn't bring anything. Luckily the boat driver had rain ponchos for the people to buy. Unluckily the quality was.... less than satisfactory. So here are these ladies, in their snazzy shoes and saucy clothes with their designer purses, getting poured on in half ripped rain jackets. Ah, the humour of it all was priceless. I would have paid 15 dollars just to see that.


Here is an oh so flattering of Valerie and I rocking our rain ponchos. As you can see we are smiling. This is because we came prepared.To prove my point, here is one of the ladies in the less than satisfactory rain coat. Notice the large hole on the left side of her jacket. These things were worse quality than the bags you get at the dollar giant.

Here I am after the rainstorm in the smaller row boats. As you can see, I'm wearing a traditional Vietnamese hat. It kept falling off my head. Which is suprising as I have a large head. Perhaps I was wearing it incorrectly. Which may seem impossible given the hats design is very simple, but trust me, I'm capable of such a thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment