Friday, July 29, 2011

Well thats done...

Yesterday was our last day of teaching although admittedly not much instruction happened. The day was mostly about the big final production and making sure all of the VIPs were happy. The final show included; a slideshow of events at camp with digital music created by our students, the chicken dance with the grade one students, shadow puppets from Kim's class, the itsy bitsy spider sung by the grade threes, there is a hole at the bottom of the sea sung by the grade twos, two short plays based on the works of Robert Munsch directed by Kim and two more of the same directed by me, and an Aikido presentation that went on, and on, and on. The owners said that it was the best school show since Principal Bonnie's Christmas Pageant, I think that means they were pleased. Our rehearsals had been horrendous so of course on the day everything ran really smoothly. After my kids finished I spent most of my time gazing at the Audience. There were people taping the show on their laptops, ipads, and iphones. There were people chatting and texting on their cellphones. There is a small part in one of the plays we did in which the boys pull out water guns and pretend they are firemen while squirting the audience. I probably enjoyed that part a little bit to much.
Take that texters!
We tried to integrate some poi into the show but the two top students were to shy to stand onstage and work with the glow poi. So instead we had two of the other students do it while the audience was coming in and while they were very enthusiastic they really only knew about two moves.
I am proud of my students but I have to admit I am genuinely relieved camp is over. On the last day both Kim and I were asked if we would come back next year. We have talked about it and we are considering it. I think my bottom line is that if we were to do it again we would need either our room and board paid for or our tickets. If anyone wanted to come with us we could market ourselves as a group...

No comments:

Post a Comment