Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Schoolin.

Alright. Two days down. It has been a crazy ride, ladies and gentlemen.
Yesterday the "Opening Ceremonies" took place. Things didn't exactly go as planned. CIS, though very pretty, hasn't worked out all of its technical bugs. As in, we didn't have a working printer to get class lists, so everything was kind of a free for all. Also, for about a half of an hour we only had one song playing in the theatre. That one song was Tinkileo the Donkey. TINKALEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Needless to say, the schedule was a work of improvisation. Meaning I had 2 hours for introduction time where I was supposed to have one.
We went to the gym, and a kid had a nosebleed.
Also there is a girl that likes to poke me, and touch me...... I might have to have a little talk with her, especially if she slaps my bum going up the stairs again.
There are a couple of REALLY cool kids in my class. I shouldn't really complain about any of them because if I give them a white piece of paper and some markers they draw for a half an hour. But, there are some challenges. Having three different grades in my class (4-6) and having children from public school mixed in with the CIS kids means I have a wide range of ability. So, I'm trying. I'm trying really hard.
After school I tutored for an hour. My taxi took me to the wrong building. So I had to call the Mother of the girl I am tutoring and my cell phone cut out no less than 4 times. After there wasn't any taxis I wanted to take (some are sketchy) so I walked home. And it looked like it was going to start monsooning so I walked quite briskly.
The plus side is that the three kids I am tutoring are super cute. And polite. AND her Mom brought me papaya juice and cookies.
Today was also an exciting day. We got to the school and there was no power. No power until 20 minutes after school started. Then, it from 8 to 11:15 it cut out four times. This may have been okay if our whole curriculum wasn't based on e-learning and smart boards.....
There were plus sides to today, it wasn't all chaos. The kids responded really well to my lightup poi and seemed quite enthusiastic about learning. We also had drama, and though handling 40 kids is a task in itself, we had some really neat moments. I would like to take this moment to thank Miss Naomi because I was somewhat overwhelmed and she and her no sass attitude led the class. I was more of a prop. Thank goodness one of us has experience or else those 40 kids would eat me.
I think that these next four weeks will be challenging, and I will probably go to bed at 8pm every night.... But I also feel like I'm getting valuable experience and I'm doing alright for someone who has never taught in front of a class for more than an hour.
TILL TOMORROW FAIR READERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment