Friday, May 20, 2011

English for Beginners

I swear a lot. My personal favorites are, in no particular order:

Fuck this noise
Fuckadoodle-doo
Anya mana
Fuck your face
Mother-fucker.
Fucks-sake
Cock.
However an off-the-cuff comment by my friend Cody, HI CODY!, about how in the education department students must use the unisex everyone rather than the more masculine you guys when referring to groups of students got me thinking: I need to start paying more attention to my language. The swearing doesn't have to disappear entirely, in fact, I am not sure if that is possible at this point, but I do need to start cutting back my cursing. I also want to start working on sounding a little bit more professional. When I was in Egypt I heard myself shouting, one day, YAH NEED TAH BE QWY-ET! I have never been so aware of my West Coast Canadian accent. I am trying to focus on saying you instead of ya, and to instead of tah. I do love to swear though so this is an up-hill battle. There is something so wonderful about the word fuck, I think it is that hard consonant CK at the end of the word, it really rolls off the tongue when you are angry or frustrated.


4 comments:

  1. YOU SHOULD HAVE WARNED ME THERE WAS SUCH LANGUAGE IN THIS POST. MY POOR INNOCENT EARS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I read outloud.....

    ReplyDelete