Monday, May 23, 2011

Please find it in your heart to give

We have some wonderful friends who are taking part in the Relay for Life in Port Alberni.

What is the relay for life you ask, this answer is taken from the website.

The Canadian Cancer Society Relay For Life is a celebration of survival, a tribute to the lives of loved ones and a night of fun, friendship and fundraising to fight back against cancer. Relay For Life involves teams of up to 15 people who participate in an overnight non-competitive relay. Participants take turns walking, running or strolling around a track. Teams consist of people representing corporations, communities, families and friends.


Where does the money go?


The funds raised through Relay For Life help the Canadian Cancer Society fund promising research, provide information and support services for people living with cancer and advocate for public policies that reduce cancer risk and improve the quality of life for those living with the disease.


After the link to this event was posted on facebook I started thinking about the people I know who have been afflicted by this disease. There is my fearless friend who at thirteen was diagnosed and decided to shave her head and cover it with fake tattoos. There was my inspiring Proff who put off treatment so that she might have her baby, there was a kind family man who was consumed by this disease in a matter of months, there is a rock 'n' roll Mama who lives life to it's fullest, there is a supportive Mother who is getting by, and there was my Grandmother. It was in my Grandmother's name that I chose to donate $5.00. I know that isn't very much but if everyone gives a little a lot of good can come from that. In honor of the rest of my friends I am asking you to donate to my favorite Relay For Life team. Remember: every little bit helps.



No comments:

Post a Comment